WHY YOU NEED TO LET YOURSELF HAVE A ‘ME-DAY’ + AN EPIC READING LIST
It’s just a regular Tuesday as I type these therapeutic words and I have a huge-ass bowl of my favourite pesto with a rather large side of rice crackers.
I just got home from an afternoon at the gym followed by a glorious mani-pedi session at the nail salon (can we talk about HOW GOOD the massage chairs and pedi related leg massages are!?), shortly I’m about to put on the newest episode of Offspring and then I totally plan to continue ignoring my emails and work/uni responsibilities while I dive into the rest of the evening with my new read. And the best part is, I DON’T feel guilty about it.
The reason for this ‘should be responding to emails and working but I don’t want to ‘rebellion? I’m one of those people who are always on top of things, always relatively stressed out and always caring and worrying about what my boyfriend, best friends, family members and social media acquaintences are doing and how their lives are going. Obvs.
Of course, this is normal life and not a bad thing whatsoever, we are human beans and that is what we do and how we live, but you guys have got to agree with me.. isn’t it nice to just block out an ENTIRE day to look after yourself, do exactly what you want to do, and to just take a break from the hustle and bustle of your life and let yourself breathe and re-engergize?
Yup, and you deserve it. You totally deserve it. We all book holidays and take leave from work a couple of times throughout the year to take a break and a breather, in hope to return feeling refreshed and ready to jump back into it again. Think of having a ‘me-day’ as one of those, just a whole lot less expensive and probably not as exciting, but we can’t always be off the grid in a magically warm climate somewhere where people don’t speak English, can we? (I’d still like to test that!)
Some people are workaholics, mums, stressed out students, self employed hustlers and it’s just SO easy to let life get on top of us, to put ourselves last after everyone else in our lives and we all wish there was about an extra 5 hours in a day to get our shit done. But we have to manage this time, and prioritise ourselves so that we can reach our full potential and be the best possible versions of ourselves so that we can continue to look after and support the beautiful people in our lives.
So, I’m giving you permission to block out one day in the next coming week, whether it’s a week day or weekend day to book yourself into the spa, actually sign up for that hot yoga class you’ve been talking about doing for way too long and give yourself a BREAK. Your body, mood, and overall mental health will thank you for it, trust me.
And if you’re stuck for ideas, here’s how my day went today to help spark your inspiration:
- Wake up slowly, let yourself roll over and ignore the fact that it’s already 9 AM a couple of times (team SO NOT a morning person)
- Chuck on the newest video from your favourite Youtuber and make some time to make your favourite type of breakfast (I love watching daily vloggers first thing in the morn, my faves are the SacconeJoly’s!
- Continue watching just a few more videos and browse the internet for a little while to catch up properly on the world
- Throw on your favourite gym gear that makes you feel the sexiest and get to the gym, your body and mind will LOVE you for it
- Grab a fun lunch on the way home, healthy or not, who gives a shit today is all about feeling good!
- Shower, shave, exfoliate, moisturise. Hellloooo you’re going to feel even more sexy post-gym!
- Head to the nail salon for a mani-pedi, enjoy and appreciate that amazing pedi massage chair and let it dig into those back knots
- Grab a yummy snack (pesto & rice crackers are my healthy fave!) and watch an episode of whatever series you’ve been loving at the moment. My feel-good go-to’s are Offspring & Greys Anatomy, I will watch reruns FOREVER and never get bored! P.s Offspring is on Netflix and it’s the funniest shit I have ever watched in my life!
- Light a candle, I’m currently burning the gorgeous and super fresh Blue Cyprus & Amber by Ecoya
- Let the pamper sesh continue by popping on your favourite mask! My fave is the Kiehl’s Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydrating Mask
- Start a new one or continue reading your favourite book. Thank you so much to all of you for your recommendations guys! I’ve decided to start with ‘The Light We Cannot See’ by Anthony Doerr because about 5 of you recommended it and I had actually bought it about a year ago but never got around to reading it!
- Other things I would have LOVED to do today: get a full body massage, a facial, do a yoga class, spend a couple of hours wandering the shops and stuff my face with a 6 packs of Dunkin Donuts.. (Yup. No shame honeys.)
I also thought I would add in the list (in no particular order) of amazing books that you all so kindly recommended me via Instagram this afternoon! These ALL sound absolutely amazing.
- All The Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr
- In Cold Blood – Truman Capote
- I Am Pilgrim – Terry Hayes
- The Kind Worth Killing – Stephen Swanson
- The Bronze Horseman – Paullina Simons
- The Bridge To Holy Cross – Paullina Simons
- Leaving Time – Jodi Picoult
- But First We Make The Beast Beautiful – Sarah Wilson
- Big Little Lies – Liane Moriarty
- The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Alborn
- The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair – Joel Dicker
- Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
- 11.22.63 – Stephen King
- The Perfect Husband – Lisa Gardner
- The Alice Network – Kate Quinn
- The Couple Next Door – Shari Lapeana
- See Me – Nicholas Sparks
- I Am Malala – Malala Yousafzai
- Nujeen – Nujeen Mustafa
- Flowers In The Attic – Virginia Matthews
- We Need To Talk About Kevin – Lionel Shriver
Remember guys, it’s not about having a totally unproductive day, it’s all about THERAPY and looking after our mind, body and soul.
We all need it!